About Me

My photo
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Emerson

Friday, February 4, 2011

Nanotechnology & Nanomedicine

We all read about nanotechnolgy which is "engineering of functional systems at the molecular scale." The research for this began by looking at the physical and chemical properties of carbon-based materials.They have already laid down the basics for this technology and have implemented it in many different ways. Nanotechnology is already used to eliminate odors, which I found pretty cool for a common use. In order to eliminate odors, a silica nanoparticle is covered with copper and placed in a shoe, for example, and the reaction from the copper eliminates odors. Something I thought was interesting. Nanotechnology has also led to another field of nanomedicine. Nanomedicine is a very "specific medical intervention at the molecular scale" for curing diseases. This uses biological structures in order to cure a disease, such as Alzheimer's which is projected to be possible within a decade. I believe that nanotechnology and nanomedicine could lead to great possibilities within the field of criminal justice. If nanomedicine can cure a disease such as Alzheimer's, maybe with continued research it can cure other psychological disorders such as personality disorders, mood disorders, or anxiety disorders, many of which are seen in criminal offenders. That's not to say that all offenders have a psychological disorder, though. I also believe that nanotechnology could lead to better evidence collection and improved methods for making a connection between crime and offender with that evidence. I hope to see this develop and be used in a positive manner.
All of the information referred to can be found here: http://commonfund.nih.gov/nanomedicine/overview.aspx
and here: http://www.gizmag.com/nanoparticles-eliminate-odors-better-than-carbon/17722/ 

1 comment: