The article is located here:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/29/wesc-karmatech-concept-makes-your-shoes-more-social-with-rfid/
Students in Sweden have come up with the idea of implanting RFID chips in your shoes. These chips will be used to automatically "check-in" at locations via Facebook status and other social networking tools. They will also allow you to receive exclusive deals at the place you are visiting.
The idea is pretty cool, especially if you are really into updating your statuses and whatnot. However, I view these to be a dangerous idea if utilized to automatically give away your whereabouts. From a law enforcement perspective, it would be great to know where the criminals are but what about if they always know where you are? For example, statistics repeatedly say that sexual assault is most likely committed by someone you know. Well if this acquaintance always knows your whereabouts, you are very vulnerable. Think about it. How many of your facebook friends do you REALLY know? Those few who are acquaintances... what if they knew you were out of town for a month? They could break into your house knowing you won't be inside to defend your property. Just a few thoughts. Would you like everyone on your friends list to always know where you are?
In a word... No. It's not good to let everyone know where you are all the time. Like you said, way to easy for a stalker (or worse) to find you. If I want to check in at places, I'll use foursquare on a smartphone.
ReplyDeleteThese shoes seem very unsafe to me, but maybe it's just me... Anyone second this?
I agree with what you said towards the end. It sounds kind of dangerous to me. I don't update my location on Facebook like a lot of people do, because you can't always know who will abuse that information. Often people that I've met in a college class ONE time will try to add me on Facebook, and they think it's weird when I decline, saying that I don't know them. This is part of the reason behind that. I don't want to divulge too much personal information to just anyone, and my Facebook has some personal information. I think it's a good thing to be careful about, and sometimes it worries me when people post about where they are, or that they're alone, or out of the house.
ReplyDelete