About Me

My photo
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Emerson

Monday, February 21, 2011

New Biopsy Methods

I found a neat article discussing a device that a University of Rochester professor created. This device is used in order to take high-resolution 3D images below the skin, which could possibly eliminate biopsies. The prototype that this professor created apparently has a liquid lens, kind of crazy, that takes thousands of images below the epidermis and creates a 3D image of what is underneath the skin. Apparently, the lens is made of water instead of the typical glass lens. I thought that was pretty interesting... I mean, how reliable is a water lens? Probably easy to replace but how does it keep it's shape? I just can't even imagine how it works. This device has been tested but they do not forsee its day-to-day use in the near future.

This article is located here: Biopsy replacement device

No comments:

Post a Comment